Coventry City v Tranmere Rovers : Match report

In a game described as a ‘smash and grab’, Micky Mellon’s men defeat promotion chasing Coventry City at Birmingham City’s St Andrews stadium. 

Due to absences with suspensions, injury or international call ups the ‘Super Whites’  replaced Connor Jennings (suspended) with Corey Blackett-Taylor, Neill Danns (international call up) with George Ray meaning Liam Ridehalgh took his natural position of left back and Ollie Banks (injured) with Harvey Gilmour.

The opening ten minutes were relatively close, as both sides attempted to open the scoring. Coventry man Hiwula managing to get behind the Rovers defence but failed to keep his volley below the bar. At the other end, Stefan Payne nodded down for Paul Mullin inside the box but he couldn’t manage to keep the ball in play. 

After that, it seemed to be all Coventry. Monthe covering well to clear the danger after Godden, for Coventry, expertly controlled the ball on the edge of the box. Ridehalgh also managed to see an attack out as he saw the ball out from a back post cross.

George Ray proved his worth to the team with a good piece of defensive play, doing brilliantly to track Godden and block the attackers shot with a sliding tackle from ten yards out.

The first substitution was made on the 35th minute, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy replacing the injured striker Paul Mullin. This extended Micky Mellon’s long injury list problem.

This was soon followed by the first yellow card of the game, Stefan Payne booked for a late un-needed tackle. 

The half, dominated by Mark Robins’ ‘Sky Blues’ finished level much to the relief of Mellon and his side.

The first piece of good individual play came on the 51st minute, when young attacking midfielder Gilmour won the ball back in the centre of the ‘park’ and picked out Hepburn-Murphy. The attacker then ran at his marker and won a throw-in deep in the Coventry half.

The second ‘booking’ of the game came when Hepburn-Murphy caught Dabo late.

To the great relief of Emanuel Monthe, Godden hit the ball onto the right hand sided post after Monthe gave the ball away in a very dangerous position.

On the stroke of the 63rd minute, Hiwula again managed to get in behind the Rovers defence. Again to the relief of Micky Mellon’s side, the shot was struck wide. 

The ‘Super whites’ then counter attacked through Hepburn-Murphy. However, the substitutes goal-bound effort was cleared away.

‘GOALLLL!!!’ A scene of pandemonium was sent across the travelling ‘Super Whites’ when Tranmere attacker Corey Blackett-Taylor beat his man with a pacey attack and slotted the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Micky Mellon’s men opened the scoring whilst Mark Robins’ side were reasonably frustrated considering they hadn’t managed to put one of their 17 shots past Scott Davies.

Although Coventry managed to level the scoring in a game they had dominated, the closest they got to doing so was when George Ray blocked a O’Hare shot.

The game finished 1-0 in favour of the visitors, Tranmere’s first league one away victory and clean sheet since the relegation season of 2013/14. This sent the travelling ‘Super Whites’ home happily after a game they would like to dedicate to the passed Luke Brown.

Tranmere are next in action at home to Southend United, this Friday night.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *