Exeter City 5 Tranmere Rovers 0 – The Match Report

Exeter City v Tranmere Rovers – Match Report


English Football League Two

Saturday 12th December 2020

Pressure has been placed onto Keith Hill, following Tranmere’s devastating 5-0 away defeat to Exeter City. 

The game saw a repeat of many of the mistakes that were made in Rovers’ last time out. The ‘Grecians’ would pounce on these mistakes and were good quality for a 5-0 victory, in truth they could and probably should have scored more. To put it simply, the hosts managed to walk through their visitors defensive line on many occasions and the quality that they possess has left the Tranmere manager and his team with many questions to answer. 

The performance simply wasn’t good enough, Rovers were dominated.

First half –

Tranmere started with a showing of their attacking intent, Kaiyne Woolery broke forward and would eventually ‘pull the trigger’. His left footed shot from outside the box being blocked, before deflecting wide. It was an even start to the game.

However, Rovers’ defensive frailties would soon show. Exeter striker Joel Randall volleying over the bar, he was left unmarked at the back post. The hosts were finding it too easy to get through the visitor’s defensive line but this was the closest they had gotten so far.

They would soon open the scoring. Ryan Bowman having another shot from inside the box. This time his attempt found itself being placed beautifully into the top left corner. It would be their academy product, Matt Jay, that assisted the opener and he was certainly displaying his qualities.

The Grecians’ top scorer, Jay, would soon cut inside and release a shot. It failed to have the accuracy required to meet the back of the net. His attempt would go harmlessly wide.

The hosts would soon find themselves with a great opportunity to double their lead, after being awarded a penalty from a Jay Spearing foul. This set piece seemed to be incredibly harshly given. Nevertheless, Jay would double the hosts’ lead sending Scott Davies the wrong way from twelve yards out. 

At the other end, Danny Lloyd would try to find the feet of striker Kaiyne Woolery. However, the pair were on different wavelengths and nothing was created.

It would soon go from bad to worse for Rovers, the scoreline was ‘put out of reach’ as Bowman doubled his goal tally for the afternoon. His shot from inside the box finding the bottom left corner of Davies’ net. 

The ‘whites’ would try their best to bring a goal back as they tried to force their way into the game. Full-back loanee Calum Macdonald and creative midfielder Otis Khan having crosses blocked from the left hand side of the pitch. 

A cross would soon find the head of Kaiyne Woolery, who was unable to find the target.

It could have easily been four to the good for the hosts before the half time whistle blew, Bowman again showing his capabilities. However, he would fire another good chance wide. 

There was little action left of a half to forget for Tranmere, Macdonald being booked for a foul on Randell Williams as the winger aimed to break forward. 

Second half –

Tranmere manager Keith Hill recognised that changes had to be made if Rovers’ fortunes was to change. They had put a lot of miles in on the road for the work to seemingly go to waste. Thus, he made four changes before the second half commenced. Liam Ridehalgh, Paul Lewis, Ollie Banks and Morgan Ferrier would replace Calum Macdonald, Otis Khan, Danny Lloyd and Kieron Morris.

These changes seemed to add a new breath of attacking intent. Tranmere started the half off with Woolery breaking forward and out pacing Tom Parkes who would eventually bring him down. The defender was booked as a result of this foul. 

Substitute Morgan Ferrier would soon chase down a short back pass and force goalkeeper Jonny Maxted to clear the ball high into the stand. 

He would soon drive forward again and deliver a low cross, the goalkeeper was again called into action but he gathered the ball calmly.

At the other end, defender Tom Parkes would see his effort fire over the bar from the club’s top scorer’s free kick. Time for a Rovers comeback was getting slimmer.

The referee awarded another booking, this time it was veteran centre half Peter Clarke that was on the end of this. For a handball. 

The visitor’s fifth change of the half came when forward replaced forward. Corey Blackett-Taylor would come onto the pitch for Kaiyne Woolery. An injection of well needed pace.

However, the hopes of Blackett-Taylor having a great impact on the game was soon squashed. 

Jake Taylor’s shot from the centre of the box saw itself fired into the bottom right corner. 

Tranmere goalkeeper Scott Davies was soon awarded a yellow card.

His afternoon would get worse when a fifth was fired past him. Another shot from the centre of the box would travel past Davies and slot into the bottom right corner. There was certainly no chance of redemption for Rovers now.

There weren’t many chances created after this, from either side.

Former ‘super whites’ full-back Jake Caprice would come onto the pitch late on into the game.

Exeter City 5 Tranmere Rovers 0 

Lineups –

Exeter: Maxted, Key (Caprice 88’), Sweeney, Parkes (Hartridge 88’), Sparkes, Williams, Collins (Atangana 80’), Taylor, Randall, Jay (Ajose 82’), Bowman (Fisher 82’). 

Tranmere: Davies, O’Connor, Clarke, Monthe, Macdonald (Ridehalgh 45’), Spearing, Morris (Lewis 45’), Lloyd (Ferrier 45’), Feeney, Woolery (Blackett-Taylor 68’), Khan (Banks 45’).


Possession – 46%/54%

Shots – 17/7

Shots on target – 6/1

Corners – 1/5

Fouls – 9/15

Referee: Kevin Johnson

Assistants: Adam Ricketts and Robert Dabbs

Thank you very much for reading,

Stay safe,

Ethan Hoijord

Join the conversation

1 Comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *