Tranmere Rovers v Wycombe Wanderers : FA Cup 1st Round

Tranmere faced Gareth Ainsworth’s Wycombe Wanderers in the first round of the FA Cup, at Prenton Park (9/11/19). Micky Mellon’s side came into the game with the hope of emulating their previous FA Cup run, which ended in a 7-0 defeat at a packed home ground to Champions league finalists Tottenham.

The team fielded by Mellon was the side that beat MK 3-1 the previous weekend, with a Rushian Hepburn-Murphy hat trick.

Before all FA Cup games on Saturday there was a minutes silence, to pay respect to soldiers who fought for our freedom in the two world wars. The minutes silence at Prenton Park was beautifully respected by all.

Tranmere started on the front-foot with great lightening attacking play, this resulted in a shot onto the post by right/winger Kieron Morris.


Minutes after Morris struck the post, he placed the ball into the back of the net. The winger driving a low powerful shot into the bottom corner.

Throughout the next twenty minutes, Tranmere were the side showing more promise for the second goal of the game. Unfortunately, the best effort by the ‘super whites’ landed wide of the post as Connor Jennings attempted to find the top corner. 

After a high attacking cross by Wycombe, Tranmere goalkeeper Scott Davies punched the ball into a dangerous position. This resulted in a free kick, on the edge of the box. Wycombe managed to level the scoreline from the free kick, Jacobson curling the ball into the top right corner.

There was no further on target attempts from both sides. However, Mellon’s side had the majority of possession. The attempt that looked to have the most danger to either goalkeeper came from Tranmere and Guyana midfielder Neill Danns but even he failed to trouble the goalkeeper from a 25 yard shot. 

Wycombe opened the second-half scoring, Samuel firing into the bottom corner after the Tranmere defence failed to clear from a corner. 


After attacking play from Wycombe’s Aarons, the ball found itself in the direction of an opposite attack. Full back Wilson running with intent from the left, setting the ball up to Morris who fired the ball into the bottom corner of the net. 

The goal was quickly followed by two substitutions, Hepburn-Murphy and Jake Caprice sent to the bench as Morgan Ferrier and Blackett-Taylor took their places on the pitch. Mellon’s aim was clear, to win the game so a replay down south wasn’t needed. 

The substitutions were followed by a short period of Tranmere shots and crosses, all of which were unfortunately cleared away from the Wycombe goal area. 

Tranmere full back, Wilson, came incredibly close to firing the ‘super whites’ in front as he curled a shot with the outside of his foot which whistled past the post. 

Wycombe were also incredibly close to getting themselves in front, Davies tipping over excellently to deny the Wycombe forward from six yards out. 

There was no further action from an incredibly well fought entertaining draw at Prenton Park. Thus, there will be a replay at Adams Park on Wednesday 20th November.

Full time : 2-2.

Attendance: 3,849 (258 travelling supporters).

Join the conversation

1 Comment

  1. Spot on reporting. You say it all with very few words. You have the gift. Well done keep it up.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *