Tranmere v Shrewsbury : Match Report

On a weekend that marked Micky Mellon’s three year stay at the club, he failed to beat his former side Shrewsbury. There was only one change from the previous defeat at Portman Road, this provided a slight tactical change. Connor Jennings replaced the injured Sid Nelson meaning Liam Ridehalgh played on the left hand side of the centre back pairing.

Similar to many previous performances, Tranmere started on the ‘front foot’. Payne heading down to Jennings who’s volley was blocked. Also, Bank’s corner found the head of Ridehalgh who’s header was deflected wide. 

However, it was the visitors who opened the scoring. Callum Lang, a season long loanee, ‘tapping in’ from a yard out.

Neill Danns was awarded with the first card of the game, dragging opposing midfielder Ollie Norburn to the floor inside Tranmere’s half.

Soon after, Stefan Payne nearly levelled the scoreline when an excellent turn placed the attacker in a position to shoot from the edge of the box. However, the Shrewsbury goalkeeper forced the shot around the post. 

On the 23rd minute, the entire crowd rose to beautifully applaud Tranmere supporter Luke Brown who passed away in the week. Nicola Palios, Tranmere chairwoman, took to Twitter to thank everyone who had respectfully applauded.

The second yellow card of the game was awarded to Shrewsbury man Laurent, for an ill-timed high tackle on Tranmere attacker Paul Mullin.

On the stroke of the 45th minute, Connor Jennings was sent off for his second yellow card of the game. However, this offence looked like a tackle from the Shrewsbury man. Thus, an officials mistake.

After the break, converted centre back Liam Ridehalgh provided a tremendous last ditch tackle to deny a shot from Udoh.

The first substitution came on the 60th minute, Harvey Gilmour replacing Darren Potter as Tranmere looked to attack.

Soon after, Callum Lang came close to doubling the visitors lead. A half volley from 25 yards whistling a yard past the left hand post.

Another substitution came when Winger Blackett-Taylor replaced Ollie Banks.

Quickly after, former Tranmere player Ollie Norburn smashed a shot off the post from inside the box.

Tranmere’s final substitution came when striker Hepburn-Murphy replaced converted full back Kieron Morris. This meant a tactical change as Tranmere converted a defensive four to a defensive three.

The last attack of the game came in the last minute of additional time, an attempt close to a Tranmere equaliser. Neill Danns controlling in the box for a shot which was comfortably saved by the Shrewsbury goalkeeper.

During the post match press meetings, Tranmere manager Micky Mellon claimed he wasn’t happy with the performance of his side. The main quote to represent the performance being ‘We lacked quality on the ball’.

Team lineups:

Tranmere – Davies, Morris, Ridehalgh, Monthe, Caprice, Banks, Potter, Danns, Jennings, Payne, Mullin. 

Shrewsbury –  O’Leary, Giles, Beckles, Pierre, Williams, Love, Goss, Norburn, Laurent, Udoh, Lang.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *