Tranmere Rovers v Burton Albion : Match report

‘Yet again’ Micky Mellon’s men’s resilience was evident in a last-gasp 2-1 home victory against Burton Albion. Tranmere’s side were unchanged since their midweek bounce-back 2-2 draw against Peterborough, which amazed all spectators. Although being sent to the stands in the previous fixture, Micky Mellon stood in the dugout.

Similar to previous performances, Tranmere started off strongly bombarding the Burton defensive half with many attackive threats. Two early corners caused a scramble in the Albion box but Tranmere were unable to capitalise. Paul Mullin continued to chase the Burton defenders to force defensive errors, through Ridehalgh’s and Banks’ long range passing to the left side, yet no on-goal chances were created. Further running, from Paul Mullin, towards the Burton goal caused the first free kick of the afternoon. Although it was thirty yards out, Mullin attempted to strike the ball on target yet could only find the Tranmere kop faithful. The earliest shot on goal came on the stroke of the twenty-second minute, Morris finding the side netting after a beautifully placed pass by Potter. That was the closest Tranmere could get to the net behind Burton goalkeeper, O’Hara, in a half which Burton seemed to grow into, Sarkic forcing Davies into an excellent save around his post on the stroke of half-time. As David Perkins ran towards the Burton goal, Tranmere’s injury list grew. Perkins dropped to the floor with a hamstring issue, which forced the substitution and debut of Neill Danns. Tranmere supporters applauded loudly as David Perkins walked off the pitch as Perkins’ performances has meant he is a pivotal part of the Tranmere team. 

Half time commenced at nil-nil, which was a result more in Burton’s favour as Tranmere has dominated the game with many attempts. Another substitution appeared at half time, loanee Borthwick-Jackson replacing Ray, which seemed to bring Ridehalgh to the left side of the centre backs.

The second half commenced, both sides starting with an urge to attack. 

Burton found themselves on goal first, ex-Tranmere attacker Akins bursting into the box. However, a needed tackle from Borthwick-Jackson stopped the attack from progressing. 

On the stroke of the sixtieth minute, Banks tried to replicate his wonderful midweek volley. However, a shot from longe range could only find the Burton goalkeeper, not the Burton net. 

After a slow passage of play from the Tranmere defenders, Burton found themselves through on goal. However, Borthwick-Jackson brought the Burton attacker to the floor causing another penalty against the wanting of the ‘super whites’. Ex-Tranmere attacker, Akins, placed the ball on the penalty spot in front of the discomforted Tranmere kop stand faithful and sent Davies the wrong way. Ecstatic visiting fans meant Tranmere, the ‘comeback kings’, had to again use their bounce-back-ability to achieve any proud result.

Another sub for Tranmere found Blackett-Taylor replacing Potter as Tranmere needed to possess more fruitful attackers. However, the substitution initially strengthened the Burton attacking mindset. Scott Davies saving, but parrying, a Burton attempt meant he was called into action again when he provided a beautiful save, against Edwards’ follow up, whilst on the floor. 

Tranmere didn’t create much until an unbelievable five minute spell in additional time. Two goals in five minutes brought the hosts in front and sent pandemonium across Prenton Park. 

Banks with another beautiful free kick, beating O’Hara at his bottom corner, brought the hosts level and doubled Banks’ goal tally for the season. Stefan Payne, with another last minute goal, brought the hosts in front after a fantastic cross was sent into Danns’ head which was headed across goal for Payne to meet and become a new fans favourite.

Another resilient performance from the ‘super whites’, added the second set of three points to the league table and showed the team was more than capable of bouncing-back from a poor position. Quest, a television channel that displays football league’s highlights, labelled Tranmere as ‘Comeback kings’ after the fourth come-back in the first two months of the season.

After the game, numerous Tranmere related people took to twitter, to mention the fantastic win through bounce-back-ability. Danns, Banks, Monthe, Davies and the Palios’ all welcomed the proud victory and thanked the Tranmere faithful for supporting them throughout their performance.

During the post match interview, Micky Mellon praised the ‘fantastic crowd’ and praised all Tranmere players who showed ‘battle, guts and determination to win the game when called upon’ after giving away ‘another mad penalty’. Mellon claimed Perkins’ injury will be looked on in the following few days but Danns did a great job of replacing him considering ‘he had no pre-season and no match fitness’.

Tranmere are next in action in East-Anglia on the 28th September as they face legend James Norwood’s side Ipswich Town.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *