Tranmere Rovers v Peterborough United : Match Review

Yet again, Micky Mellon’s men shared the points in an empthatic 2-2 draw after being 2-0 down. Scott Davies’ 200th appearance was certainly one to remember for the Tranmere faithful.

After picking up a calf injury in the recent encounter with Oxford United, Woods was replaced by Kieron Morris. Ray replaced Hepburn-Murphy, as Tranmere looked to have a strengthened attack to cope with Peterborough’s attacking threat. Also, Banks replaced struggling Connor Jennings in the centre.

Similar to previous fixtures, Tranmere started very well from the off. Many attempts were sent towards ‘The Posh’ goal, Mullin, Banks and Potter all having shots blocked from in and around the box. This somewhat settled the nerves of the Tranmere faithful, who before the match feared they may have received the same scoreline as Rochdale’s 6-0.

However, Peterborough still found themselves through on goal. A poorly defended pass to Ivan Toney brought Scott Davies racing off his goal-line and diving to the floor to save the attackers attempt.

The game remained end to end. Striker Paul Mullin managing to get in front of the oppositions defence but was stopped with a sublime last ditch tackle. Peterborough also continued to counter attack with pace, Maddison finding Toney who could only find goalkeeper Scott Davies.

Half time came with a justified even scoreline. However, Tranmere supporters were incredibly pleased with their sides performance after having the mainstay of possession. 

The referee comenced the second half and Tranmere kept their attacking urge. The front two of Mullin and Payne provided superb pressing but nothing but a ball clearence came from their efforts.

Tranmere’s defensive mindset switched off as the attacking urge grew. Unfortunately, this only meant Peterborough’s attackers could get themselves through on goal as the ball was cleared from a Tranmere corner finding Eisa who expertly brought the scoreline in favour of the visitors. 

Seconds after the kick off, Scott Davies picked the ball up from his net for the second time. Tranmere’s defence switching off meant Ward could cross to Toney who got in front of Monthe to double the visitors lead.

Tranmere’s mentality was questioned again yet they remained with the urge to attack. Surely a repeat of the previous home fixture wasn’t going to occur.

Morris headed into the keepers arms from a Ridehalgh cross and Ray clipped a wonderful ball to Payne in the box who’s volley could only find Pym, ‘The Posh’ goalkeeper. 

The Tranmere faithful kept their support to the highest levels to create a wonderful expecting atmosphere.

Micky Mellon’s men finally got the better of Pym, Ridehalgh heading into the top corner from a Darren Potter cross. With twenty five minutes remaining on the clock.

The atmosphere was incredible as a repeat of Gillingham became visible. Yet with all of the Peterborough players seeming to be of the need for punishable action for foul play, it was Tranmere manager Micky Mellon who recieved a red card and a seat in the main stand. Although this annoyed him, it would soon come as a favour as he had a wonderful view of the Tranmere performance.

A cross came into the Peterborough box and was headed away to Tranmere midfielder Ollie Banks. Banks decided to replicate his play off semi final home distribution and scored another scorcher. A majestic thirty yard volley into the bottom right corner to send scenes of eruption across Prenton Park and to put the scoreline even. 

Tranmere still performed with an attacking urge as Mullin unleashed a fierce longe range volley into the arms of Pym. However, the greatest attempt on goal without finding the net came in the 90th minute as Rays wonderful towered header sent towards the top corner was unbelievably saved by the Peterborough goalkeeper.

The game fizzled out with the hosts performing better than the visitors but the scoreline remained even in another great game at Prenton Park. Tranmere supporters came home from Prenton park with a great smile, for the second time this season. 

During the post match interview, Mellon stated ‘The Peterborough goals came out of nowhere yet I always believed that if we scored one then another would come as there was so much in the game’. Mellon also stated ‘I can’t apologise for my actions relating to my red card as I did nothing wrong. I just politely and rightfully moved the official from my dugout’. 

Tranmere are next in action on Saturday as they face Burton Albion. 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *